This time of year, who has time for intricate skincare routines? Try these simple, time-saving derm tips and your skin will feel markedly more youthful come New Years.
1. Moisturize! Ever notice how smooth your skin looks after you moisturize? Regular moisturizing can soften existing lines and create a more even texture. Try combining moisturizer with a sheer foundation to vastly improve your overall complexion. For best results, implement a nighttime treatment just before bed to allow your skin to soak up the nourishing ingredients.
2. Invest in antioxidants. There is evidence that skin care products containing antioxidants neutralize the effects of free radical cells, which are believed to cause aging. Antioxidants can also provide protection against photodamage and skin cancer, and inhibit inflammation that leads to collagen depletion. Here are some antioxidants of note: vitamins A, C, and E; alpha lipoic acid (ALA); ubiquinone (coenzyme Q-10); kinetin; botanicals (e.g., teas, grapeseed, grape skins and stems, coffeeberry.)
3. Look for silicone. Many new anti-aging products that target wrinkles contain silicone, which can fill and seal fine lines and wrinkles. These innovative formulations can smooth out wrinkle -prone areas, like the skin surrounding the eyes, mouth and forehead. Silicone may not be advertised on marketing materials, so be sure to check ingredient lists.
4. Try oil-based products. Cream and oil bases restore hydration more efficiently than other formulations. If your skin can tolerate it, try switching to cream or oil-based moisturizers and cosmetics. If you have acne-prone skin, opt for water-based products that are not as thick, to avoid clogging your pores. Concerned about developing a greasy appearance on your face? Use a translucent or matte powder as a finishing touch.
5. Prevent age spots. Exfoliating ingredients can lighten age spots by removing the superficial layer of dead skin cells to reveal fresher-looking skin. Look for products that contain niacinamide, a B-complex vitamin that can lighten areas of the skin that have darker pigmentation. To stop age spots before they start, wear sunscreen everyday, avoid prolonged sun exposure, and wear protective clothing and hats.
6. Avoid crows feet. Sun exposure is the single biggest contributor to crows feet. Invest in sunglasses that block U.V. rays and never forget to apply sunscreen to the thin skin around your eyes. Avoiding U.V. rays will also reduce your chances of developing wrinkles, skin cancer, and other sun-related skin changes. Wrinkles can also be produced by the repeated movement of the skin through facial expressions. The next time you’re staring at your reflection, remind yourself to avoid making facial expressions that engage the skin around your eyes.
7. Make healthy lifestyle choices. You may not be able to stop the clock on skin aging, but you can certainly slow it down. Great skin is the result of smart lifestyle choices. Regular exercise, a balanced diet, adequate sleep, and well-managed stress levels can influence how your body responds to age-related changes.
Edited from skininformation.com article: Care Tips-Aging Skin