Glycosaminoglycan (GAGs) is a carbohydrate that form an important component of connective tissue in skin – they act like scaffolds or bridges that join proteins together. Many animal species contain GAGs, but snails are a particularly rich source. They’re secreted from granules within the snail’s body and sit on the outer surface. When used in a skin care formula, these GAGs can penetrate the skin to heal, prevent and reverse scars from the inside out. They:
- Fill in the spaces between skin cells in order to firm up skin
- Encourage new healthy skin development around them by stimulating collagen and elastin fibers
- Dissolve dysfunctional skin cells, keratin plugs and unblock pores
- Reduce inflammation
- Keep microbes in check to prevent infections
- Preventing scars resulting from acne, surgery, injury, stretchmarks, etc.